Thursday, December 13, 2007

Third World Technology - see how many you can count

Well, as you may know Vanuatu is economically classified as an LDC - Least Developed Country, a.k.a. Third World Country. Funny enough, after arriving here we purchased a cell phone, or "mobile phone" as the locals say. I say funny enough since we never had one in Canada. We were in that minority few who never owned one.

Technology here can sometimes be expensive, so when one of our friends was travelling to Malaysia we asked them to pick us up a mobile (phone that is, not trailer). You see for the price we paid in Malaysia we got a fancy fancy phone, not the bottom of the ladder one you would get here.

So yesterday after chatting on skype from the mid-most heart of the ocean with a friend in New York she suggested I post a town map I thought I'll just pop into town and take a picture of the local tourist billboard map.

But unfortunately Carren had taken the digital camera with her, then I remembered, hey, we got a camera phone, I'll just take a picture of it and bing, I'm done.

So off to town I went, took the picture (notice the guys feet under the sign) came home and then thought, hmm, now how do I get this onto my laptop. This being my first 'mobile' phone, I knew about emailing pics (pictures) but didn't think that service would be available here. Then thought, hey my laptop has a 'bluetooth' which I've never used, I wonder if the phone does too. After a few clickings around, I round it, then managed to link the laptop and phone and transmit myself the picture.

Don't you just love Third World Technology?

Anyway, that was the long version of how I got this picture of the map. I hope it comes out ok. It is also my first ever 'mobile' phone picture. Now to see if I can find where the bluetooth saved the thing.

4 comments:

tmonajjem said...

This is absolutely awesome! TWT is great, it works!!

Love the posts, pics, love it all! Hope all is well down under these days. It's been sooooo cold here, we can't even feel our extremities! Wishing we were on a beach in Vanuatu.

hugs, t&k

tmonajjem said...

Love the pics, love the posts! TWT is awesome too.

It is freezing sooo much here we can't feel our extremities. We are dreaming of warm sand and sunny skies in Vanuatu! Count your lucky beans.

hugs from sub-zero NY

tmonajjem said...

By the way, did you know there is a state in Brazil called Espirito Santo? Were the Portuguese in Vanuatu???

Anonymous said...

Good words.